On December 12th, Sam was hit by a car while riding his bicycle and suffered a traumatic brain injury. This is his journey.

Friday, January 1, 2016

1/1/16 - On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

...another round of hemodialysis (HD).

So yesterday, after some serious detective work to find another CVVH machine after the first one broke, they finally got him up and running with the heparin to combat clotting the filter.  And, six hours into that process, he clotted the filter. This morning, as the nurse was taking all of the tubing off of it, the renal docs came in and asked what she was doing.  They could not believe it had happened again. Sam is seriously challenging these doctors. There are times I swear he is just messing with them. He's in the middle of a hemodialysis treatment as I write this. They will try CVVH again (I think) with an increased heparin dosage. His kidneys are improving, but it's a slow process.  The ultimate goal is for him to be able to get rid of fluid on his own while maintaining good creatinine and BUN numbers. A lot of fluid has been removed, and he is looking more and more like himself.  It's fun when caregivers who haven't seen him in a day or two come in and say, "He really IS skinny!" He's starting to match the pictures we have of him hung in the room.

The neurosurgeon and trauma docs came through this morning, and the bone flap is here!  That is great news.  The not so great news is that it's not technically his.  Before you think about this too long, I will attempt to explain it in a way that makes sense.  When they performed the initial surgery and removed the portion of skull, Sam got the alias "Fox, Ma".  When the EMT's brought him to the hospital, he didn't have official ID on him--only his school ID card. They gave him that name, and it stuck for a couple of days. We had obviously verified his identity that first day, but they kept Fox, Ma in case they needed to perform an emergency procedure and we weren't right there to sign consent.  (For a while I was actually Fox, Ma's ma.) Once he was out of the woods on that, (the first of many different woodland areas Sam's been wandering into) they changed his name to what it really is.  So the skull officially belongs to this Fox, Ma guy, and the hospitals have to talk to each other to get him to give it to Sam. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad they're not just handing out my kid's bone flap to just anyone, but he kind of needs it for the surgery on Monday. And in answer to the question of how it was going to get here? I asked the neurosurgeon if it was a Coleman cooler, and he said it probably was. There is a growing set of questions for which we are seeking answers, so I can cross that one off the list.

Otherwise, we continue to wait while you wait with us. We are fed by your ongoing prayers for Sam's recovery, and for everyone else mentioned, especially little Aaron.  The mother of a former student whose sibling is here and has been following the blog connected with me. Prayers for her would be appreciated as well.  Our next big hurdle other than keeping him moving in the right direction with kidneys and lungs will be surgery on Monday.  We will give you more details on that as we know them.  As always, much thanks to you, #TeamSam for your constant support and prayers!

I'm kind of in a goofy mood today if you couldn't tell from the post. This picture is from the choir trip to San Antonio last Spring.  Love that kid!

   

7 comments:

  1. We are also on the Prayer Warrior list for Sam, many times a day since we learned of his accident. He's included on St. Paul Lutheran's lift up lists, too. Alison told me she has a similar photo of Sam on her phone from that trip. It makes her smile to remember that. Glad to find this site so she can stay up to date too. Prayers for your family and for the Docs on Monday.>>Barnett Family. Doris Bob and Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Sam. Coach Deaton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am surprised it wasn't a YETI cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma Fox, eh?
    Well, maybe that was propitious.
    Given that my Ma Fox had a whole ton of spunk in her and most certainly did not go gentle into that good night. She was as stubborn as they come, a fighter to the end.
    And when she called me bullheaded, my response was simple: "Look who taught me!" (of course that necessitated running for my life!)

    I pray your outcome will be as good as my former assistant principal's son's was -- he was t-boned, them Sam's journey so far was also his. Today, he's off at college, playing baseball, and doing well.

    As one of your serial refreshers, my prayers continue for you, Sam, your family, and all those others you have asked to be raised in prayer.

    May God's ministering angels enfold you and His Holy Spirit comfort you.

    --- Mr. Fox

    (p.s. do I have to give you an official assignment to get you to post more!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Staying with ya' every prayer I can say every minutes I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your daily posts, it helps us keep on track in sending prayers for Sam, his family, and medical staff. I pray that all goes well with the surgery and that God continues to give you the strength to be there for Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to feel your indelible sense of humor is as persistent as your mama bear spirit.We are in loving God's hands.AB

    ReplyDelete